78000 RGBW pixels

Write here what nice effects or shows you have done with MADRIX or ask other users.

Moderator: MADRIX Team

Dainius

78000 RGBW pixels

Post by Dainius »

Hello,

I am new here. Now i try to calculate one big project. Maybe some body can help me.
I have 318 lines LED strips, each line is 50-60m and i have around 78000 RGBW pixels. IC on led strips is SK6812, SPI. Distance from control room will be long...
In this lighting control i am new...Can you help me understand how many pixels can control LUNA16 with ArtNet? Same like DMX or much more, like SPI? I can use converter from ArtNet to SPI?
Thanks for any professional coment and answer.
Guertler
Support
Support

Re: 78000 RGBW pixels

Post by Guertler »

Hello Dainius,
Welcome to the MADRIX forum.
When you want to control 78000 RGBW pixels of a SPI based stripe I would recommend to use an Art-Net to SPI interface like the MADRIX NEBULA instead of the MADRIX LUNA. Because with the help of the NEBULA you can directly connect the SPI based strip to the NEBULA without another converter.
To control 78000 RGBW pixels you will need 77 NEBULAs because every NEBULA can control 1024 RGBW LEDs in total.
Under the following link you can learn more about the NEBULA:
http://www.madrix.com/en/home/products/nebula.html
Also you will need a MADRIX software license which unlocks the output for 78000 RGBW pixels. 78000 RGBW pixels means you will need 312,000 DMX channels to control (78,000 pixels x 4 channels for RGBW). That's are 610 DMX universes to control in total (312,000 / 512 DMX channels per universe).
That means you will need 3 MADRIX KEYs ultimate to control the project. All 3 KEYs you need to connect to one PC.
Furthermore it is recommended to have the SPI interface as close as possible to the first pixel of the LED stripe. So the cable length between the output of the interface and the first pixel is not to longe. Because SPI signals are very vulnerable for interferences and the longer the distance between the output of the interface and the first pixel of the LED stripe the more interferences can disturb the signal.
Dainius

Post by Dainius »

Dear Guertler,

Thanks for your professional answer.
Can i use some SPI amplifier near to LED's strip? Because will be one control room, and all thinks will be outside. I can put only power suppliers outside, but signal i need send from control room.
I just check, have 139 lines with max 300 pix. So, i think maybe better to use 139 Nebulas, each for one line.
Any idea about Madrix keys and software pricing? Nebulas price i saw in website.
Thanks you so much!
Guertler
Support
Support

Post by Guertler »

Hello Dainius,
Of course you can also use SPI amplifier between the NEBULA and the first pixels of your tape to improve the SPI signal again.
How long is the distance between the NEBULAs and the first pixels in this project?
When you want to connect every line of 300 pixels to a new port of the NEBULA, you will need 70 NEBULAs for the 139 lines because every NEBULA has 2 output ports.
Dainius

Post by Dainius »

I have two options - Nebulas can be in control room, but then max distance will be around 220m. Other option is put Nebulas to waterproof box and install near pixels.
I have double 139 lines with max 300 pix, i wrong explain you before. So, then i need 139 Nebulas and use one port for one line.
Thanks you for your help!
Last edited by Dainius on Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guertler
Support
Support

Post by Guertler »

Hello Dainius,
A distance of 220m between the output of the NEBULA and the first pixel is realy a large distance for a SPI signal. If you decide to have the NEBULAs in a control room, you should definitely use SPI amplifier.
But in case of this distances we recommend to install the NEBULAs in the near of the LED stripes and send the Art-Net data via this long distances. Please keep also in mind a network cable should also amplified after 100m by using a simple network switch. The advantage to use the network connection for the long distance is that the nework connection is not so susceptible to interference as a SPI connection.
Dainius

Post by Dainius »

Of cause we will be need amplifiers, because distance is to far...
Thanks for your professional help!
CoraDias

Post by CoraDias »

Hi...i am a new user here. As per my experience to control 78000 RGBW pixels you will need 77 NEBULAs because every NEBULA can control 1024 RGBW LEDs in total.

prototype pcb assembly services