Control generic par cans

Write here what nice effects or shows you have done with MADRIX or ask other users.

Moderator: MADRIX Team

TerlinguaEd

Control generic par cans

Post by TerlinguaEd »

Hi,
I bought these inexpensive little par cans that have dip switches on the back. Each par has red, blue, and green led's. My question is how do I setup a fixture for them? Or is there a fixture already made that I should be using? How do I set the switches?

Thank you!
andyfengfeng

Re: Control generic par cans

Post by andyfengfeng »

Hello ,

If you not sure MADRIX have Fixture for your light . you can try to make a new Fixture by fixture editor.

http://help.madrix.com/m3/html/fixturee ... ation.html

For example your par have 8 CH. 1 R, 2 G, 3 B , 4 BINGHTNESS(maybe do not need to add in the fixture). 5 6 7 8 are others(do not need to add in the fixture)
EX:
Manu:xxxx
Web:xxx
Fixure N:xxx
Operation M:xxx
Protocol: DMX
V C X/Y/Z:1 1 1
Color Depth: 3 RGB
DMX C C: 8
DMX A MIN/MAX: 1 TO 512

ch1 R
CH2 B
CH3 G
CH4 BRIGHTNESS the Default Value 255 and select Fixed.
TerlinguaEd

Post by TerlinguaEd »

I think I am close to getting it figured out. There are 10 switches on the back. Think number 10 has to be 'on' to put it in dmx mode.
I had it running at some point but the color was off...as in when madrix showed it as blue it would show green etc.
Any ideas?
cg

Post by cg »

If madrix shows blue and your par can shows green you have an offset in your DMX startadress by 1. So either add 1 to the adress on your par can (dip switch) or subtract 1 in the madrix patch editor.
TerlinguaEd

Post by TerlinguaEd »

I still have not been able to figure it out. These are the lights I purchased if it helps any...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I5DF62K/ref=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_0

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DLUBRU2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Guertler
Support
Support

Post by Guertler »

Hello TerlinguaEd,
When I see it right, both fixtures are DMX controlled RGB fixtures. That means you can control this fixtures with MADRIX via DMX. Now it depends on the amount of fixtures which MADRIX version you need. If you will need less than 512 DMX channels, you can use a MADRIX NEO for instance.
http://www.madrix.com/en/home/products/neo.html
In MADRIX you can simply patch the "!generic RGB Light 1 pixel" fixture.
On the fixture you must choose the right mode and the correct DMX address. After you have setuped it correct you can control your lights with MADRIX.
TerlinguaEd

Post by TerlinguaEd »

Still no luck. Is there some way to identify how many channels a light is using? When I slide the master brightness slider the light does strange stuff like flashes and or changes colors. Then when I try to adjust the color values a lot of time it does nothing but if I use the mouse to change the colors they change (but not correct colors still).
I have tried to change the light to a different start channel and then change channels a few before/after the start number in the Matrix Generator but no luck.
I am using a NEO and the 2D version of Madrix. I have spent hours on this and am to the point of returning the lights and starting over. Any last advice is appreciated.
Fritzsche
Support
Support

Post by Fritzsche »

Definitively!
Do you have the user manuals handy and are you able to find a so-called DMX chart for the fixtures in there?
Unfortunately, I don't think a simply 3-channel fixture in MADRIX will help you. In the product descriptions I can see that they are probably using 7 or 8 DMX channels per fixture. This would explain the behavior you are seeing. The first few channels are usually for master brightness and automatic effects and coloring and not pixel control.
Once, you have the DMX chart, you can use the MADRIX Fixture Editor to build your required fixture profiles. Once, you have those, it will work.
TerlinguaEd

Post by TerlinguaEd »

This is what came with the light. I have tried making my own patches but must be doing something wrong. How would this need to be patched?

7 Channels DMX Function table

Ch 1 Total Dimming
Ch 2 R
Ch 3 G
Ch 4 B
Ch 5 Strobe speed from fast to slow
Ch 6 Self-propelled speed
Ch 7 0 Dimming Off
1-50 Prog 1
51-100 Prog 2
101-150 Prog 3
151-200 Prog 4
201-250 Prog 5
251-255 Sound Control / Self-Propel

Thanks for your help
Fritzsche
Support
Support

Post by Fritzsche »

We are getting there!
Does the DMX function table provide any additional information?