PC Specs for 239 dmx universes?

Write here what nice effects or shows you have done with MADRIX or ask other users.

Moderator: MADRIX Team

DKLinc

PC Specs for 239 dmx universes?

Post by DKLinc »

Greetings!

I'm working on a large project that is about 40,600 pixels controlled across 239 dmx universes, and the patch matrix size ideally needs to be 50x*50y*421z in size to properly map everything in 3D. The system is playing back single cuelist via timecode from outside source, and strictly outputting artnet across 51 devices, no dvi.

I'm currently looking at the following dual CPU computer as possible option:

Processor: 2 x 3.20GHz (up to 3.7GHz) 8 Core Intel Xeon Gold 6134 Processor - 24.75MB Cache
Memory: 2 x 32GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC Registered RAM
Hard Drive: 250GB NVMe SSD M.2 3.2GB/1.5GB - Samsung 960 Evo
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB

As the system will be artnet only, and all previews will be turned off while running, would I be correct is thinking the GPU is not as important as the CPU?

And would it be better to use the above CPU or this model:
Processor: 2 x 2.60GHz (up to 3.7GHz) 16 Core Intel Xeon Gold 6142 Processor - 22MB Cache

I can't seem to find anything larger as a standalone rack mount PC station, and at the same time don't want to drop over $12,000 on system that might not work. Any thoughts or recommendations would be welcome! :-)

Thanks in advance for your time! - Dave
Guertler
Support
Support

Re: PC Specs for 239 dmx universes?

Post by Guertler »

Hello DKLinc,

For such a big matrix size in MADRIX we want to recommend to use the "Intel Xeon® Gold 6134" processor because the base frequency of this CPU is higher than the base frequency of the other proposed CPU.

Furthermore we want to recommend to use a faster ECC RAM and a motherboard which will support this fast RAM. Because of MADRIX read and write a lot of data during the work in the RAM.
DKLinc

Re: PC Specs for 239 dmx universes?

Post by DKLinc »

Okay, Thanks for the info! Will go with the 6134 CPU's and am able to upgrade to 2666MHz Ram. (Fastest the dual cpu scalable motherboard will support) Will let you know how it all works when get it in couple weeks.