Trouble creating fixture larger than one universe

Write here what nice effects or shows you have done with MADRIX or ask other users.

Moderator: MADRIX Team

ChrisCotton

Trouble creating fixture larger than one universe

Post by ChrisCotton »

Hello, LOVE the software, will eventually graduate to 3.0 but that'll take newer machines.
For now, I'm having trouble finding info on creating a fixture that has more pixels than one universe, and when trying to create and save, the stored fixture will only light the first 172. The remaining pixels can't be accessed. But If I utilize the Matrix generator, no problem, all 232 light and operate correctly.
Any ideas?

Okay, what I'm trying to achieve is a flat panel with a matrix of rgb pixels, 522 in count, 29 x 18. It would be nice to create this fixture. Can you help with a possible workaround that isn't a matrix generation, or a hand made patch?

Thanks, Fritzsche
Last edited by ChrisCotton on Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fritzsche
Support
Support

Re: Trouble creating fixture larger than one universe

Post by Fritzsche »

Hi ChrisCotton,

Can you please provide more information on what you are trying to achieve?

Creating a fixture that takes up more than 1 DMX universe is not possible, since the DMX specifications do not allow for this case.
A DMX universe is specified to include 512 DMX channels. When using RGB, you can control 170 RGB pixels (170,666 by calculation, which does not apply).

Thanks.
ChrisCotton

Post by ChrisCotton »

Fritzsche, thank you for your response, although I'm confused as to why (still) a fixture entry in the madrix library can't be composed of more than a single universe. Why can't a fixture be (say,) four universes?
Fritzsche
Support
Support

Post by Fritzsche »

Hi ChrisCotton,

This is due to the specifications of DMX (of technical nature and policy nature).
MADRIX wants to adhere to industry standards and a very influencing one are the original DMX specifications. It speaks of 512 control channels per DMX universe. If more control channels are needed, further DMX universes are to be used (which again include a maximum of 512 DMX channels each). That also means that a new DMX line needs to be used (regarding cabling). No matter which communication protocol you are using (such as DMX, Art-Net, Streaming ACN), most of them take hints from DMX and include the same approach of 512 channels per universe.
If you would use more channels, that also often means from a technical standpoint that you would need to lower the frame rate in order to keep data traffic in check. In a general sense, deviating from the 512 channels per universe would have all kinds of implications (data traffic, electrical wiring, etc).
When using the Matrix Generator and then using the Patch (menu Preferences > Patch) to see what MADRIX did, you will notice that it automatically assigned fixtures to universes 1 through 4. In this way, it will always work when using the Matrix Generator since MADRIX addresses it automatically for you.
ChrisCotton

Post by ChrisCotton »

Thank you for your response, but I think that we are disconnected still. I'm not looking to rewrite the protocols. Madrix generator creates my configuration(s) of 18 rows of 28, and another smaller, at 8 rows of 28.
What I don't get is why the fixture creator won't store a fixture, in this case, an array, that is larger than 170 pixels. This is a sACN networked device so addl. DMX cabling isn't the case. The fixture needs to comprise just over 4 universes. 522 pixels.
This IS an actual fixture, so there must be a way to create something that can be stored, other than a patch map?
Guertler
Support
Support

Post by Guertler »

Hello ChrisCotton,
Thank you for your input.
At the moment it is not possible to create a fixture which has more then 512 DMX channels in the MADRIX "Fixture Editor".
We will discuss this request with the developer.
At the moment you have to patch such a fixture universe by universe. The result should be the same like you patch one fixtures which consists of 4 DMX universes, for example.
If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us again!
Thank you.
Gordon Lights

Post by Gordon Lights »

Chris,

What make/model is this fixture?

-GL
ChrisCotton

Post by ChrisCotton »

Hello Gordon, it's a panel with an array of pixels with an on-board controller. Since the full size panels have more than 500 pixels and use just over four universes, it'd be nice to be able to store them after patching.
There's got to be a way to define the fixture more broadly.
Wissmann
Developer
Developer

Post by Wissmann »

Hi ChrisCotton,

the manufacturer and the name of the model would be definitely helpful for us and the future.
I agree with your point of view, that if someone build such a fixture it needs a easy control solution.
But.
As the name says the fixture editor is a fixture editor and as Mr. Fritsche mentioned a dmx fixture is not defined for a channel amount more than 512 Channels / 1 Universe.
So what you are looking for is either a subpatch editor or a software which can handle fixtures which are not defined by DMX 512 A.
Neither the subpatch editor nor the described software we can offer currently, sorry.
Until now we get this request just for custom DMX led fixtures.
If now real (serious) manufacturer of DMX LED fixtures come around with such kind of models... we need the name of it and have to talk with them ;-)
THX
LEDs are nothing without control ;-)
ChrisCotton

Post by ChrisCotton »

Well, I'm trying to invent this fixture. This is a great software solution for these panels I'm describing, if you would care to have a conversation, please let's Skype or some other way of contact if there's a path out of these woods,other than manually describing each one individually.
Thank you