Madrix on MACPRO running windows

JesseLP

Madrix on MACPRO running windows

Post by JesseLP »

Hi

Im looking at buying a new Mac Pro and running windows via bootcamp to use as a Madrix Machine does anyone have experience with this does it benchmark good ??
Spec for the machine are

3.0GHz 8-core with 25MB of L3 cache
16GB of 1866MHz DDR3 ECC
256GB PCIe-based SSD
Dual AMD FirePro D700 GPUs with 6GB of GDDR5 VRAM each

after peoples thoughts before I spend the $$
Fritzsche
Support
Support

Re: Madrix on MACPRO running windows

Post by Fritzsche »

Hi there!

Do you have any specific reasons that speak for the Mac Pro?
I personally would not recommend the purchase, since it is basically a technically outdated machine, even if you buy new. The internals have simply not been updated by Apple in the recent years.

A custom-built Windows machine will probably get you more performance at a lower cost.
On top, it really depends what you want to control with the MADRIX Software. Depending on this, you might need muss less or more performance.

Thanks.
dijjital@gmail.com

Post by dijjital@gmail.com »

I'm using a 20-core HP Z820. It's.... ridiculous. You cannot get a MAC based system with these specs and with Madrix the most important factor in terms of effects performance is the number of CPU cores available on the machine. I'm running a HUGE patch (2630x1056x3) and with a few effects stacked in blending modes I'm pushing 70% useage on all 20 cores. My 128GB of RAM is barely used leading me to believe that a huge amount of RAM is not necessary. My GPU (Nvidea Quatro K6000) is also barely being used, which is strange since previews are supposedly rendered via the GPU.

My advice, put together a PC with as many cores as you can afford (AMD Threadripper2 perhaps?)
IAV_DAVID

Post by IAV_DAVID »

Interesting, we have been running Madrix 5 and ShowCad and on one machine and it just keeps falling over when programming. Resorted to two machines and its fine. Welcome a link to a awesome machine sub £700-1000.

What would be the best spec to focus on? CPU's as you outlined?

Thanks in advance.....
Guertler
Support
Support

Post by Guertler »

Hello IAV_DAVID,

MADRIX will calculate all effects at the CPU.
Please have a look to the following forum thread:
https://www.madrix.com/support/forum/40/1948