Running a video on a 3d led cube...

greyworld

Running a video on a 3d led cube...

Post by greyworld »

Hello

So we have a 16 x 16 x 16 LED cube.

We want to make some 3 dimensional shapes appear within the cube. What we thought we could do was play 16 movies, each one made from a slice of 3d animation, and each one playing on one slice of the cube. But we cant get them to all play at the same time. They play at different times and as far as we can tell, theres no way to sync them up... Are we wrong? Any ideas?

And if the video idea is a no go - is there another way of creating a 3d object and animating it that would work?

Thanks in advance

Andrew
Guertler
Support
Support

Re: Running a video on a 3d led cube...

Post by Guertler »

Hello greyworld,

Welcome to the MADRIX forum.

If you want to playback 100 percent synchronized videos in different z layers, MADRIX provides the possibility to output the video as slices for the layers. That means you have to create a video which includes the 16 different videos for the z layers next to each other. So the size of this video is 256 pixels by 16 pixels. After you load the video in "SCE Video" effect of MADRIX you will find the "SL" button right besides the name of the loaded video. After you clicked the "SL" button the "Slice Settings" opens and you can set your desired settigns for the video. The "Slice Count" should be set to 16 in your case.
greyworld

Post by greyworld »

Aha!

Thanks very much for this! Ill try right now.. A fascinating world opens up :D
candooper

Post by candooper »

Hey all,

further to greyworld's post above, I was wondering what type of workflow one could use to create your own animations within a 16x16x16 LED Cube.

I am looking for a way of creating a 3D video animation, exporting it out as 16 layers [slices] on the z-axis, and then reassembling them all again on a 256w x 16h video that I can then bring in to Madrix and follow the steps above.

If I'm not being clear, I've been using this egg analogy to some friends whilst looking for help on this:

Thanks for any tips,

Dan