how to create hexagon in patch editor?

swortain

how to create hexagon in patch editor?

Post by swortain »

hi everyone,
I'm really new of madrix. I meet some problem when I try to create a hexagon in patch editor.
As the background of image showed, the hypotenuse and the side of hexagon get the same length in the real world. so they have the same number of LED. but in the editor I can not give them the same fixtures. it will cause the Deformation and the length will not correct neither...
so what shall i do?...
Thank a lot.
https://imgchr.com/i/VBCnzV
Schulze
Support
Support

Re: how to create hexagon in patch editor?

Post by Schulze »

Hi swortain,

Welcome to the MADRIX Forum.

You wish to create a shape with 60° angles on a "square" grid with mainly 45° angles. That means, all shapes with angles unequal to 45° result in a "deformation" in their size in the patch.
What I'm trying to express it that the patch of shapes like hexagons in MADRIX will always be an approximation to the reality due to the arrangement of the fixtures on a square grid.

Depending on the effect which you want to achieve, you will have different options in MADRIX 5:

1) Insert spaces between each horizontal pixels until you achieve a better approximation of a hexagon shape. The size of the horizontal lines should orientate on the size of the diagonal line.
As a result of that, your patch will increase in size. This is the way you already tried with a slight difference and I recommend to continue it like that.

Attached you will find a picture with an example.

2) Patching the hexagon as a straight line is also a valid option, with the constraint that your patch will differ more from the reality. That would be the easiest way without having the need of readjusting the alignment of the fixtures on the grid. Therefore, the visual outcome is always a combination of the patch and the used effects.

Furthermore, there are other possibilities for patching complex shapes for advanced users.

I hope this helps you.
Attachments
Hexagon_1.PNG
Hexagon_1.PNG (13.57 KiB) Viewed 28522 times
swortain

Re: how to create hexagon in patch editor?

Post by swortain »

hi Schulze,
Got it, I'll check it out. Thanks :D