Mapping strands in different groups

daviddate

Mapping strands in different groups

Post by daviddate »

Hey all. I was introduced to Madrix while building Myriapoda, a 30ft mechanical centipede from the future that used a Nebula and 5 Key. https://www.14dd5266c70789bdc806364df4586335-gdprlock/watch?v=WHqwo4fphxs

Currently we're working on a giant kinetic star, MerKaBa Portal https://www.14dd5266c70789bdc806364df4586335-gdprlock/watch?v=qPp8cYwaJwA

All of the fabrication is completed and we are now trying to figure out how to layout our LED pixels. There are at least 3 different geometries we could isolate and transition between to shift the form of the sculpture. Initially I had planned on 3 data shared strands that originate from the top, but am now thinking that it would be better to have full addressability over the whole sculpture for 3 dimensional radiating effects. Does anyone have any ideas on how to lay these out? We are actively looking for team members for Burning Man 2019 and future events!
Guertler
Support
Support

Re: Mapping strands in different groups

Post by Guertler »

Hello daviddate,
Welcome to the MADRIX forum.

When you want to create a patch for this wire frame sculpture, I would recommend to split the complex sculpture in different parts and unfold the parts to lines. Now you can patch this lines in MADRIX and you can create cool, creative effects after you unfold it. Of course the MADRIX preview can't be used like a visualizer. It is now a technical preview to see how the effect is looking in MADRIX.

Attached you will find an example how you could unfold a such a 3D wire frame sculpture and patch it in MADRIX.
The colors of the fixtures in the MADRIX Preview corresponds with the colors of the fixtures at the real sculpture.
As you can see in the image there are two Z-Layers used. At the first Z-Layer the fixtures for the front driangle is patched and at Z-Layer two all other diagonal fixtures which are going in the depth in real are patched.
When you now create some groups for the different parts you are able to map the desired effects to the desired parts very easily.
Attachments
SculpturePatch.jpg
SculpturePatch.jpg (243.6 KiB) Viewed 32140 times
daviddate

Post by daviddate »

Thank you so much for your help!
Irwin

Post by Irwin »

I saw your art project MerKaBa on the playa. Well done!