3D Matrix and Video

wigginsray

3D Matrix and Video

Post by wigginsray »

I developing content for a 36x36x15 video matrix that will be implemented with Madrix. I've been told that there is no good way to play video that maps to each pixel because of performance issues. this seems odd to me since the total pixels is far less than even standard definition. I guess what I'm looking for is information that I can go back to the lighting group that's putting the system together to enable pixel accurate video playback on the 3D matrix. Sorry if it's a terrible newbie question.
Schulze
Support
Support

Re: 3D Matrix and Video

Post by Schulze »

Hi wigginsray,

First I would like to give you some general information about the needed system performance for MADRIX:

- The effect rendering in MADRIX is calculated on the CPU, thus the performance of the GPU is less, but also important. That also means you should give the priority to the CPU.
- The GPU is used for the calculation of the internal and external previews. This is why we recommend to use a dedicated graphics cards to assure a fluent display of the previews.
- In case of a laptops/notebook for example, which often provide a dedicated video processor as well as an integrated graphics card, it is recommended to choose the high-performance graphics processor.
- Previews in 3D Mode require considerably more performance of the graphics card than previews in 2D Mode do. This also means that the needed GPU performance is highly depending on the patch (and thus "Matrix Size") being used in MADRIX.
- MADRIX Effects in use and their individual settings are also have an impact on the system requirements [Different effects in MADRIX 5 require different performance. For example, SCE Fluid, SCE Metaballs, and SCE Plasma are among the effects that require the most performance.]

This leads us to the following conclusions:
- The needed PC performance doesn't only depend on the desired output universes/channels and thus can vary greatly. It highly depends on the used matrix size.
- The more pixels/voxels (the bigger the matrix size), Layers, and Storage Places are used, the more computer performance is required.

In your case a CPU from the Intel i7 or i9 product family should be sufficient for the 36x36x15 ( 19440 pixel) single-pixel matrix. Running video content on this matrix size shouldn't be an issue with a sufficient computer performance.

I also highly recommend to read the following manual chapter. Especially the "CPU Guidelines" will help you to better evaluate the needed system performance:
http://help.madrix.com/m5/html/aura_bet ... ments.html

I hope this helps you.