Pixel Grouping

DLG

Pixel Grouping

Post by DLG »

Is it possible to group pixels in the Nebula so more than one pixel would use the same DMX address? I am using UCS8904 controlling 6 RGBW chips set in 4" of line bar. Each bar is 4' in length. This gives me 12 pixels per bar. For relatively up close viewing, 4" pixels work fine, but for large exterior facades I need to be able to group the pixels together using the same DMX address to save channels. Plus, larger pixels for long distance viewing works just fine. I need to have the flexibility to leave each pixel as individual or group them by 2, 3, 4, etc.

Thank you for any help with this.
Schulze
Support
Support

Re: Pixel Grouping

Post by Schulze »

Hi DLG,

You could create a corresponding fixture with the "Fixture Editor", in your case the fixture would consist of 6 pixels. If you add this fixture to your patch, those 6 pixels would act as one. But this won't "save" you channels. Since you are using SPI fixtures it is not possible to use the same address for a couple of pixels/chips.

Here you can learn how to use the Fixture Editor:
http://help.madrix.com/m5/html/fixturee ... ditor.html
reporter

Post by reporter »

Hi,

Perhaps this could be a feature request. This is a common feature of many different pixel controllers, and can really help minimize processing load on a Madrix system with a large number of LEDs.

Thanks,
Nathan
Schulze
Support
Support

Post by Schulze »

Hi Nathan,

I would like to make a few annonations:
- Pixel grouping still uses the same number of channels for the MADRIX NEBULA as without grouping, i.e. the maximum number of LEDs of the NEBULA to be controlled cannot be exceeded.
- Nevertheless we will check to what extent a hardware-side "pixel grouping" is possible for the NEBULA. Therefore thank you for your request.

What could help you to save channels?
- If you want to combine 4 pixels into one pixel in order to save DMX channels, it would be better to consider this already in the planning phase (especially for larger installations) and use LEDs stripes with a higher pixel pitch or use a stripe where 4 pixels work as one unit. You might also achieve a lesser purchase price of the LEDs and the needed number of pixel controllers in the form of the MADRIX NEBULA will be also lesser.
- This might also help you to achieve a lower utilization of the computer and pixel controller.