Questions about DMX in

RockitFX

Questions about DMX in

Post by RockitFX »

Hello!

I couldn't find definitive answers quickly, so at the risk of getting flamed, here are my 2 questions:

1.) Does DMX IN count against my universes? For instance, if I'm using Madrix 5 Entry and I want to use one DMX universe to control the software, will I still have 8 universes of output? Or do I have to sacrifice a universe?

2.) I'm going to use Chauvet ShowXpress to control the movers in the venue; If I put both lighting software on the same computer, can I eliminate physical hardware to control Madrix with ShowXpress? ShowXpress allows for Artnet out, not sure if it can just be re-routed internally via software (This is a bit outside of my wheelhouse). Or do I need to have two physical computers & the associated interfaces to make this work?

Thanks in advance!

-Eric
Schulze
Support
Support

Re: Questions about DMX in

Post by Schulze »

Hi Eric,

Please see my answers below:
.) Does DMX IN count against my universes? For instance, if I'm using Madrix 5 Entry and I want to use one DMX universe to control the software, will I still have 8 universes of output? Or do I have to sacrifice a universe?
- No, data input doesn't count for the license. Only the output is limited to a certain number of DMX channels depending on your MADRIX 5 license.
2.) I'm going to use Chauvet ShowXpress to control the movers in the venue; If I put both lighting software on the same computer, can I eliminate physical hardware to control Madrix with ShowXpress?
- Yes there are certain ways to receive data from another software (e.g. Art-Net, sACN or SPOUT). When you are using MADRIX and the ShowXpress software on one and the same PC, you will be able to send and receive the data only with software, which was started first.
- The second started software will be only able to send data.
RockitFX

Post by RockitFX »

Thank you!

Regarding my second question, is there a tutorial somewhere that explains how to do this? Or should I just ask my IT guy to try and figure it out? Thanks again!
Schulze
Support
Support

Post by Schulze »

Hi Eric,

The most common way would be to use the so-called "loopback adapter":
https://help.madrix.com/m5/html/madrix/ ... 0_0_1.html

The loopback adapter makes it possible to send and receive network data on the (same) local computer.

That means you would need to configure 'ShowXpress' to send the data via Art-Net to the local host (127.0.0.1) and in MADRIX 5 you need to create an Art-Net input devices, which receives data from the local host 127.0.0.1.

Here you can learn how to manually create in input device in MADRIX 5 (part - Art-Net Remote):
https://help.madrix.com/m5/html/madrix/ ... l_dmx.html

I hope this helps you.
RockitFX

Post by RockitFX »

Thank you so much! Cheers
Alex_V

Post by Alex_V »

Is it possible to view incoming DMX data in the live preview window in Madrix 5 or is DMX in only for remote control?

I would like to feed recorded DMX data back into Madrix to verify it is playing a loop cycle correctly.

My hardware does not support the MREC or DXD formats.

Thanks.
Schulze
Support
Support

Post by Schulze »

Hi Alex_V,

Welcome to the MADRIX Forum.

You can use incoming DMX signals for remote control or you can route the DMX signals through MADRIX 5 to your output (DMX-Thru). You can monitor incoming values using the "DMX Watcher" (navigate to 'Tools' > 'DMX Watcher...' > 'Input').

Please note that it is prohibited by the MADRIX 5 EULA to record content generated by the software using a 3rd party device!

Excerpt from the MADRIX 5 EULA:
You are not allowed to or allowed to attempt to and agree to not enable others to:
(f) produce, record, redistribute, or resell content generated by the software to third parties. This refers to static effects, moving visuals, and animations generated by the built-in effect generators of this software, but not to recording for MADRIX hardware, like MADRIX PLEXUS and MADRIX AURA. Recording refers to saving such content as data in machine-readable form to be able to play it back independently and in stand-alone form from another device or software that does not require the MADRIX Software or specified MADRIX hardware product to run;
Alex_V

Post by Alex_V »

Schulze wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 1:10 pm Hi Alex_V,

Welcome to the MADRIX Forum.

You can use incoming DMX signals for remote control or you can route the DMX signals through MADRIX 5 to your output (DMX-Thru). You can monitor incoming values using the "DMX Watcher" (navigate to 'Tools' > 'DMX Watcher...' > 'Input').

Please note that it is prohibited by the MADRIX 5 EULA to record content generated by the software using a 3rd party device!

Excerpt from the MADRIX 5 EULA:
You are not allowed to or allowed to attempt to and agree to not enable others to:
(f) produce, record, redistribute, or resell content generated by the software to third parties. This refers to static effects, moving visuals, and animations generated by the built-in effect generators of this software, but not to recording for MADRIX hardware, like MADRIX PLEXUS and MADRIX AURA. Recording refers to saving such content as data in machine-readable form to be able to play it back independently and in stand-alone form from another device or software that does not require the MADRIX Software or specified MADRIX hardware product to run;
As I understand from this it would not be a violation of the EULA to send a recording that was generated by another design tool or lighting console and view the incoming data in the DMX watcher? Will any of this incoming data be displayed as color values in the external preview window or will I only be able to view numeric values in the DMX watcher? Thanks.
Guertler
Support
Support

Post by Guertler »

Hello Alex_V,

It won't be a violation of the MADRIX EULA if you input DMX data from a third party controller. This data can be used to control MADRIX remotely, merge the data or use it for the MADRIX TRI effects. The incomming DMX data can be received and watched via the DMX watcher but won't be assigend as color of pateched fixtures.

That means you can't see the incomming data at the patched matrix.
Alex_V

Post by Alex_V »

Guertler wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 2:20 pm Hello Alex_V,

It won't be a violation of the MADRIX EULA if you input DMX data from a third party controller. This data can be used to control MADRIX remotely, merge the data or use it for the MADRIX TRI effects. The incomming DMX data can be received and watched via the DMX watcher but won't be assigend as color of pateched fixtures.

That means you can't see the incomming data at the patched matrix.
Understood, thanks!