Moving LEDs

Write here what nice effects or shows you have done with MADRIX or ask other users.

Moderator: MADRIX Team

orca320

Moving LEDs

Post by orca320 »

Been working with some DMX controlled winches that ultimately have an LED attached to them.

Can Madrix track where the LED is in space at all?

I know I can use the MADRIX effects generators to move the winches via DMX by using a single channel fixture and a solid gradients of white... but then I can not play a color effect that is meant to be voxel mapped because MADRIX will not know where in Z space the LED's are. Any tricks to get around this?

If I run the movement from an external controller is there any way to take the DMX from the controller into Madrix and alter the pixel map on the fly based on the DMX in value (ie the Z value of the LED)?
Guertler
Support
Support

Re: Moving LEDs

Post by Guertler »

Hello orca320,
You can control the kinetic system and also the LED fixture on it separately in one MADRIX effect.
It is only necessary to create a patch which is devided in a part of the winches and in a part for the LED fixtures. After you have created such a patch you have to work with layers and maps.
Under the following link you will find a tutorial how you can work with a kinetic lighting system.
http://help.madrix.com/tutorials/html/i ... with_.html
When you are working with different layers you can adjust the speed or working with the chaser to adjust the color effect to the movement of the winches.
orca320

Post by orca320 »

Thank you for your reply.

I know I can create two separate groups and run one as the movement and one as the color effect. I guess what I am after, however, is to be able to track the z value from the movement effect into the color effect.

Say I have a single LED on a winch sitting next to an LED installation. I then create an effect on the LED installation I really love that looks like a color change that starts from the bottom and works its way up to the top. Is there a way through madrix that I can adjust the height of the winch and have the color effect track it's height somehow so as the color effect always looks "correct" even though the kinetic light is moving in space?

I had been looking into GetPixel and SetPixel but I just figured I would shout out to someone who may have a good running script before I go down that rabbit hole.
Fritzsche
Support
Support

Post by Fritzsche »

Thank you for the additional explanation!
I don't think that we have such a script ready, but please feel free to send an e-mail to info[at]madrix.com and we can answer any question that might come up in more detail there.
Thanks.