Patching led strip cube

Write here what nice effects or shows you have done with MADRIX or ask other users.

Moderator: MADRIX Team

alf130386

Patching led strip cube

Post by alf130386 »

Hi! I need help in patching fixtures. I have a cube with led strips on each edge and grid of strips on each side. I need to run complex effects on whole cube (like rain drops starting in centre of the top, going thru the sides and ending in the centre of the bottom side) and separately only on edges and/or sides. While using lighting console Chamsys MQ100 (MagicQ PC) i can create multiple grid layouts from fixtures and run effects on this grids. According to fixtures used in grid layout and their arangement i can simply create different effects. But MagicQ is limited to 64 universes, so i am trying to use Madrix. What is the best way to patch my setup and is there some analog to grid layouts in Madrix?
P.S. I tried to explode my cube into 2d in patch, but dont know where should i place bottom side. Thank you!
P.P.S. I also tried to create real 3d patch. Cube will have 300px on each edge. When i try to set matrix size 300x300x300 in patch editor Madrix crashes with no effect. My system: Madrix 3.6, CPU Intel i7 8750, Nvidia 1060, 8Gb DDR4 Ram
Schulze
Support
Support

Re: Patching led strip cube

Post by Schulze »

Hi alf130386,

Could please create a little sketch/drawing of the cube and add it here (or send it via mail to info[at]madrix[dot]com)?

Thanks in advance!
alf130386

Re: Patching led strip cube

Post by alf130386 »

Well, i was playing with Matrix for last few days and it looks like it is not so bad as i thought at start. I cant create matrix 300*300*300 only in Madrix 3.6, with Madrix 5 no such problem. But becouse leds are only on the shell of cube i decided that 3d patch is not a good idea. Cube looks like Rubik's cube, i attached drawing, all lines are led strips. The schematic representation of my current patch is on second image and it looks like i can create needed effects with it. But i cant imagine a good place for top side. I had no success with adding image here, so sended you email. Thank you for response!