Maximum allowed lengh between Nebula and WS2815 stripe

Partyschorschi

Maximum allowed lengh between Nebula and WS2815 stripe

Post by Partyschorschi »

Hi!

I'm Building an indirect lighting construction on several meters of 100mm metal Cable-Trays. As there is only limited space I would like to put the Nebulas on either a central Position (server-rack) or some more central positions where I can split from.

To put it directly into the tray: I dont think that it will look nice later! I have already to install the 12V DC supplies on these positions every 5m.

So my Question is: What is the maximum distance i can run with a cable between Nebula and SPI-Stripe AND what Kind of cable can you recommend (shilded)?

Thanks for your helpfull answers!
Schulze
Support
Support

Re: Maximum allowed lengh between Nebula and WS2815 stripe

Post by Schulze »

Hi Partyschorschi,

Welcome to the MADRIX Forum.

The max. recommended wire length between NEBULA and LEDs or between LEDs depends on the protocol, signal frequency, cable cross-section, and cable shielding.

You should use a shielded twisted pair cable for the data transmission (for example CAT5E SF-UTP). Therefore the cable length for a transmission frequency of 800 kHz (WS2815) should not expire approx. 50 m. Please note that you only need to connect DATA and GND with a twisted pair cable.

The higher the frequency, the lower the length should be from NEBULA to the stripes.

I hope this helps you. Have a nice day!
Partyschorschi

Re: Maximum allowed lengh between Nebula and WS2815 stripe

Post by Partyschorschi »

Great!

50meters is a number I can work with and would solve already some issues :-)

Thank you!