What CPU to choose/benchmark tests!

Write here what nice effects or shows you have done with MADRIX or ask other users.

Moderator: MADRIX Team

Jonthe

What CPU to choose/benchmark tests!

Post by Jonthe »

Hi!

I'm kinda new to MADRIX and it's time to buy a computer that can handle it well. I have the professional key and therefore want a computer that can handle 786,432 pixels°.

The first question is if there is any benchmark tests available with different CPU/GPU so that I can see the performance?

If not, what GPU should I go for? I've read the system recommendations where it says "4.0 GHz quad-core CPU with hyper threading [e.g., desktop-class Intel Core i7] [current generation recommended]" but since there is no 4,0 GHz with quad core and hyper threading. Either I have to go for the 4,0 GHz or go for atleast quad-core with hyper threading. What should work best?

Also how good of a GPU do I need? I've checked the Nvidia GTX 980, is that to little?

Thank you for the help!
/Jonathan
Guertler
Support
Support

Re: What CPU to choose/benchmark tests!

Post by Guertler »

Hello Jonthe,
Welcome to the MADRIX forum.
The system requirements for a MADRIX PC always depends on your created MADRIX Patch and Setup. Important facts are the total resolution of the patch, the used MADRIX effects, how many effect layers you are using per storage place, the map settings and also the output type.
In your case to control 786,432 pixels which is for instance a resolution of 1024 x 768 pixels we recommend to use a very powerful PC. For instance a PC with more than one physical CPU like a PC with 2 (or more) intel Xeon CPUs. The CPUs should support hyperthreading and every core should have at least 3,3 GHz. The total amount of CPU cores should be at least 16 better 24. Because MADRIX is calculating the effects on the CPU. The Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 is powerful enough for this resolution. As storage you should use a SSD.
Jonthe

Post by Jonthe »

Hello and thank you very much for the answer!

Okey, I see!

Can I just ask why you prefer the Xeon over i7?

And if there is not enough money right now for your prefered setup should I aim for a higher amount of cores and less GHz or should I aim for higher GHz and less cores? :)

PS.
Maybe I don't even need a nvidia gtx 980? Should I go for something a bit cheaper? What do you think? :)

Regards
Jonathan
Guertler
Support
Support

Post by Guertler »

Hello Jonthe,
For such a big resolution (786,432 pixels) we recommend to use a PC with more than one physical CPU. In case of intel CPUs you can cascade more than one Xeon CPUs but not more i7 CPUs.
Of course you can work with a less performance PC. In that case I recommend to resize the patch size to a smaller patch and stretch the output to the desired size in MADRIX. For instance you want to output the MADRIX effects to a screen with a resolution of 1024 x 768 pixels. In MADRIX you set the patch patch to 640 x 480 pixel and now you stretch the MADRIX output to 1024 x 768 pixels. The advantage is MADRIX calculats the effects for a resolution of 640 x 480 (not for 1024 x 768 pixels) this will save alot of performance.
When you are thinking about the CPU for MADRIX both is important the amount of cores and also the speed per core. But if you have to decide if you have to buy a CPU with more cores and a bit less power per core or a CPU with less cores and more power per core you should buy the CPU with more cores. Please note the CPU should have at least 3,3 GHz per core.
If you want to output the desired resolution to one additonal screen you can also use a NVidia Geforce GTX 960 or 970.