Color Kinetics SL/SLX via PDS-480 Questions

Write here what nice effects or shows you have done with MADRIX or ask other users.

Moderator: MADRIX Team

stephenwyker

Color Kinetics SL/SLX via PDS-480 Questions

Post by stephenwyker »

Great software. I've been using this more and more and have a few questions.

First, I have a 16 universe dongle. From the website, it says "* The limit for DMX output is set by the number of DMX channels. In this way, it is possible to use more DMX universes than indicated by the MADRIX version if necessary (by using less than 512 DMX channels per universe)."

I am using Color Kinetics SL strings via PDS-480. In theory, each string is 150 channels, thus I should be able to get at least 54 strings via my dongle. I've also discovered that each port on the PDS must be one universe. I'm guessing I can't combine ports, 1,2,3 onto universe 1, making them respond to 1, 151, 301 accordingly.

So, my issue becomes that I address string 17 at universe "17" and data is output to the string. I put it back to a value between 1 and 16, and it works. Can someone explain what I am doing wrong?

If that is the case, I have a new wall I want to use, that utilizes 102 strings of leds (50 / string) -- that makes 5100 nodes or 15,300 dmx addresses or 30 full universes. If the statement above is correct, I could get away with using a 64 universe dongle. Otherwise I would have to double my cost and get the 256 universe dongle.

Any input to my questions would be greatly appreciated. I have many uses for this app as it's one of very few that work with CK devices.
Wissmann
Developer
Developer

Re: Color Kinetics SL/SLX via PDS-480 Questions

Post by Wissmann »

Hi stephenwyker,
yes it is true, the MADRIX Keys are not limited to the amount of output dmx universes it is limited to the amount of dmx channels. So this means a MADRIX basic Key can run 54 dmx universes if each universe only use 150 dmx channels like in your case.
So also for your next project with 102 iColor Flex SLX strings just one MADRIX professional Key is enough.
Regarding your issues with the 17th or higher universe. Which MADRIX version you use, because in the past MADRIX was limited to the dmx universes and later we changed this to the actual state of limiting only the dmx channels.
LEDs are nothing without control ;-)
stephenwyker

Post by stephenwyker »

It's a madrix basic key .... which should give me 16 universe right? I'm using the most upto date software version.
Wissmann
Developer
Developer

Post by Wissmann »

Yes a MADRIX basic KEY gives you 16 DMX universes or repectively 8192 dmx channels.
What kind of fixture you used for patching?
If you want you can send us your setup with the patch to info@madrix.com, so we can take a closer look onto it.
LEDs are nothing without control ;-)
Jurgen

Post by Jurgen »

Hi stephenwyker,

I also have a madrix Basic dongle, controlling the CK led's with madrix works great.

We have also made some great installations with the madrix control system.

But to your question:
Every port on your PDS-480 (or PDS-60) is set to a single universe. (so for the PDS-480 7.5, that's 16 universes)

But because you will only use the first 150 channels of a universe, you will be able to use (512*16 = 8192/150 =) 54 dmx universes (or ports on a PDS)

In the Device manager you are able to link a specified port of the PDS to a DMX universe.

Greetz,
Hertel
Sales
Sales

Post by Hertel »

Thank you Jurgen for your help. We really appreciate your support.
Christian Hertel
MADRIX - Sales Manager