GPU vs CPU

RockitFX

GPU vs CPU

Post by RockitFX »

I'm hoping someone can provide me with clarity regarding the tasks performed by the GPU and CPU.

I have used Madrix in several lighting installations (via Artnet>DMX), and I've always thought that the actual image processing all took place on the GPU. Now, after reading several forum posts, I get the impression that the CPU performs all of the calculations for the Artnet/DMX output, and the GPU only handles the graphics for the preview monitor; is this correct? Or am I missunderstanging?

If I am correct, then why should I care so much about the preview monitor? Afterall, my biggest concern are the LED lights themselves, and sometimes I don't even have a monitor hooked to the computer (all MIDI control).

Please help me understand! :D

Thanks in advance,

Eric
Guertler
Support
Support

Re: GPU vs CPU

Post by Guertler »

Hello RockitFX,

MADRIX is calculating all effects at the CPU. The GPU will be used to display the MADRIX effects at the previews. Nevertheless we recommend to use a dedicated GPU. Because integrated GPUs will share the memory and are less powerful. So it could be that such GPUs reduce the performance of the whole system.

Of course if you don't need the previews and they are disabled for instance, you can use PC with a less powerful GPU.