ACN output freezes?

This forum is assigned for bug reporting of Version 3.X. Please be as accurate as possible.

Moderator: MADRIX Team

nsunier

ACN output freezes?

Post by nsunier »

Hello,

I am using MADRIX 3.1 with streaming ACN output. At hardware side it is sandevices E682 controller with WS2812B LED strips.

I am working on a MacBook Air 2013 with Windows 8 64-bit (via Bootcamp).

All is working like a charm for about one hour and suddenly the physical output is freezed (but the preview in the software is still updating).

In order to debug it I have tried to reset the E682, to disconnect the Ethernet connection, no success. Then I have used SACNView 1.3.3 to monitor the ACN traffic. I can see in realtime the data changing and after the freeze, SACNView also shows freezed data. So I understand that it is MADRIX which does not more update ACN data.

I have to reboot the computer to make it works again. I can not exit MADRIX, it seems to not respond after this exit command. And impossible to kill it by Windows Task Manager.

Any help is welcome. I will have soon two big concerts and I can not use a system which behaves like this.
Nathanaël Sunier
Lighting Designer / grandMA Programmer
nathanael.sunier.net
nsunier

Re: ACN output freezes?

Post by nsunier »

I have rechecked all Windows power saving options according to the recommandation of the MADRIX user manual.

I have also fully deactivated the Windows Firewall.

Now it freezes in less than 30 minutes!

The network setup is:

1. MacBook Air with Apple USB to 100Base-T adapter. (I have also checked with Apple Thunderbolt to 1000Base-T adapter, same behavior)
2. 2m Ethernet cable
3. 100Base-T switch
4. 2m Ethernet cable
5. SanDevices E682

Please, I really need help as soon as possible. I can do every test, configuration, even beta testing, just tell me.
Nathanaël Sunier
nathanael.sunier.net
nsunier

Post by nsunier »

Where is the MADRIX team?

I know it is Christmas time, there are certainly many people on vacation.

But this is not the case for everyone, including me. I must continue to work on projects for which I have been committed.

After paying € 1,000 for a professional product, I think it is the least we can expect to get a reactive support.

48h after my initial post and still no answer at all. I have also sent I e-mail to the 'friendly' (as written on your website) support and also no answer. This is really scary.

Any answer or even a beginning of an answer will be very helpful and appreciated.

In the meantime I have done several other tests. I have also deactivated Avast antivirus for MADRIX (I have entered exceptions in Avast configuration).

As a reminder, the MacBook Air 2013 has only 2x USB 3 ports. I have plugged the key dongle into the right side port and the Ethernet bridge to the left side port.

I noticed only one time in the MADRIX log that the key has changed and then DMX output have been disabled (a NO LICENSE message was displayed over the preview screens). But I have not physically disconnected the dongle. Strange... I have tried to unplug and plug again it but MADRIX does not seem to do polling. So I had to restart the software.

Then I had the idea to plug the key dongle into the left side port and the Ethernet bridge to the right side port. After this operation all was working like a charm. No output disabled after 30 min, after 1h, after 2h, after 3h and... then after about 3h30 is happened again. Oh no!

When it happens I do not see any NO LICENSE message nor any log message but I can clearly see in the DMX view of MADRIX that all addresses are set to 0 and do not change anymore!

So I am wondering if there is not an issue with your dongle and USB 3 ports?

Is there a way to attach the license to the computer in order not to have to connect a physical dongle?
Nathanaël Sunier
nathanael.sunier.net
Wissmann
Developer
Developer

Post by Wissmann »

Hi nsunier,

Sorry to heare you are in trouble with this.
I gues you are running the MADRIX Key on a usb 3.0 port?
If so, this will probably cause your issue.
If possible plug in your MADRIX Key on a different port and if possible on a usb 2.0 port.
There is a issue with the MADRIX Key driver, regarding usb 3.0, we already stay in contact with the manufacturer and work on a solution.
The only hint i can give you so far, on some systems this issue only happens on some ports not on every port.
LEDs are nothing without control ;-)
nsunier

Post by nsunier »

Hi Wissmann,

Thank you very much for your answer. I am so happy that you confirm that I suspected.

My MacBook Air 2013 has only 2x USB 3.0 ports. It happens on both ports.

I just realized that when the output is disabled, if I unplug the key, then I can quit properly the software and restart it. By the way, why is not it possible to simply replug it without restarting the software? The software keeps displaying NO LICENSE.

I do not have another computer for MADRIX and I really want to use this one. What can I do? Would not it be possible to assign my license to this computer in order not to have to connect this @“#Ç“ of key? Have not you really any other option? A beta version with an improved management of the license (key)? ...?
Nathanaël Sunier
nathanael.sunier.net
Wissmann
Developer
Developer

Post by Wissmann »

Hi nsunier,
we work on a hotfix which we like to offer at this place during the next hours.
Please stay tuned.
nsunier

Post by nsunier »

Ok, thank you! I look forward to reading more about it.
Nathanaël Sunier
nathanael.sunier.net
Wissmann
Developer
Developer

Post by Wissmann »

Please see the latest news at the front page of the MADRIX website and download and follow the instructions for installing the MADRIX 3.1 HOTFIX (USB 3.0 issue with MADRIX Key).

A happy new year!
nsunier

Post by nsunier »

Thank you very much!

I will test it deeply during the next days and let you know my feedback.

I wish you also a happy new year! :D
Nathanaël Sunier
nathanael.sunier.net
Wissmann
Developer
Developer

Post by Wissmann »

Yes, feedback would be creat!