DIY doublesided tubes with WS2812b chips

Write here what nice effects or shows you have done with MADRIX or ask other users.

Moderator: MADRIX Team

Daniel07

DIY doublesided tubes with WS2812b chips

Post by Daniel07 »

Hi there,

i`m a newbie and trying to build LED meteor tubes by myself. I have a few WS2812b stripes (each 4mtr. with 240 single addressable LEDs) and i want to to have a few tubes with about 20 pixels. I planned to stick the LEDs on a aluminum plate and then i realized that every pixel/led is addressed and i want to have a double sided (360 degree) tube. If i stick the LEDs like on the stripe, for example the drop effect runs on one side down and on the other side up.
Is there a possibility to run the front and backside in parallel?

I tried to build an own fixture and put the backside pixel/voxels on the front side in the editor: not working. I tried to create an own patch with single LEDs, putting the front and backside LEDs/pixels on the same place (allow overlay): not working. Putting the backside in next Z-level, flipping the orientation and so on: not working..

Maybe i can`t see the wood for the trees? Any suggestion or help is welcome!

All other things are working, LED stripe is running all the effects. My technical p-o-c setup is: 1 WS2812b stripe, 5V DC 12 A power supply, Artnet SPI controller from deskontrol via Ethernet/artNet, Win 8.1 with latest Madrix 3.
Guertler
Support
Support

Re: DIY doublesided tubes with WS2812b chips

Post by Guertler »

Hello Daniel07,
Welcome to the MADRIX forum.
It is possible to create MADRIX effects where the LEDs with different addresses are running in parallel.
You can do this in two different ways in MADRIX. The first way is to create a Patch with overlapping fixtures. The second way is to patch the pixels side by side and use the "Map function" for each effect.

In your case I would recommend the first way.
For example you want to create a tube with 20 pixels on each side. Pixel 1 - 20 are located from top to bottom on the front side and pixel 21 - 40 are located from bottom to top on the back side.
Now go to "Preferences > Patch" in MADRIX and create a "New" patch.
At first we want to add the pixels 1 - 20 on position X:1 and Y: 1 and in the Addressing section we change: "Start Corner": Top Left and "Main Orientation": Vertical. The "Start Channel" and "Start Universe" should be 1 in this example
In the next step we enable "Overlap" and then we add pixel 21 - 40 on position X: 1 and Y: 1 but we have to change the settings in the Addressing section. Now we change "Start Corner": Bottom Left and "Main Orientation": Vertical.
Please change the "Start Channel" to 61.
Now we have added the pixels for the front and the back side on the same place in the Patch and you will see the LEDs are working in parallel.
If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us again!
Thank you.
Daniel07

Re: DIY doublesided tubes with WS2812b chips

Post by Daniel07 »

Hello Guertler,

i followed your recommendation and took gate 1. And yeah, bright lights are shining: It works, the pixels are running in parallel mode!

Thank you very much!