Tested: Virtualbox VM, Win 7 Pro 64 bit and Madrix

Write here what nice effects or shows you have done with MADRIX or ask other users.

Moderator: MADRIX Team

zeighty

Tested: Virtualbox VM, Win 7 Pro 64 bit and Madrix

Post by zeighty »

I wanted to see if it were possible to run Madrix on a i7 processor MacBook Pro using Win 7 pro running in a VM.

So far it has been unsuccessful. Madrix requires OpenGL 2.0 at minimum.
My first attempt had message on preview monitor "Preview disabled" OpenGL 1.0 detected, OpenGL 2.0 required. Note: message is not verbatim.

I installed the "Guest Additions" support pack on Win 7 Pro which included a beta 3D driver that included updated OpenGL. This worked to upgrade the OpenGL and the preview monitors worked, a little. I started getting screen flashes and video artifacts.

So for now VirtualBox, for me is not going to work.
It would be nice to see OpenGL requirement to be eliminated in Madrix.

If anyone has had success with another VM, please share what you know.
Fritzsche
Support
Support

Re: Tested: Virtualbox VM, Win 7 Pro 64 bit and Madrix

Post by Fritzsche »

Hi zeighty,

I can confirm that VirtualBox is -not- the best VM to be used for MADRIX. But we have successfully seen it run on Parallels or VMware. Still, the best option would be the native Bootcamp usage. Because VMs usually take away performance from the system as it runs on another system as you know. Sometimes, certain features (MADRIX KEY, audio analysis) might also not be fully supported due to driver issues.
VirtualBox, for example, simply does not support/offer the required graphics card drivers and compatibility in my experience.
I am sorry, but the OpenGL requirement will not go away. It is required to be able to create the Previews of MADRIX. And OpenGL 2.0 is not even the newest installment. OpenGL 2.0 was specifed years ago and version 4.4 is available nowadays.
Feel free to try another VM (maybe they are offering a demo version). But VirtualBox is free of charge and this case it shows that it cannot be used for everything.
All the best!
zeighty

Re: Tested: Virtualbox VM, Win 7 Pro 64 bit and Madrix

Post by zeighty »

Thanks for the additional information.
I knew that OPGL version 2 is old and I know that Mac is up to 4.x now so that helps make the decision to go with a Bootcamp install and avoid the configuration headaches and cost of another VM.

So if you are going to stick with OpenGL and not go to DirectX/3D perhaps you one day we will see a Mac version of Madrix!

I know, wishful thinking right.

Thanks again for the information.