Single led rgb strip, Not in matrix. How to??

Write here what nice effects or shows you have done with MADRIX or ask other users.

Moderator: MADRIX Team

per

Single led rgb strip, Not in matrix. How to??

Post by per »

Hi
I am very new to madrix and trying to understand how to use it with a single strand of a digital led rgb strip. I would like to make a dot (could be of 1, 2 or 3 leds) of light running along the whole length of the strip. The strip consists of 30led/m and I will use 135m of it. But my first problem is if I can use Madrix and not treat it like a matrix of pixels.
Hope that someone understands what I want to do.
Best regards
Per
Wissmann
Developer
Developer

Re: Single led rgb strip, Not in matrix. How to??

Post by Wissmann »

Hi Per,
to be honest because of your description i am not realy able to understand what you have in mind.
In the first moment it sounds to me like a row of 135m of rgb led which makes in total 4.050 rgb leds.
If this is the case you have to set up with the matrix generator a matrix of 4.050 x 1 x 1 rgb leds.
For this you will need 24 DMX universes by the way.
However, please tell us if this is what you ask for.
LEDs are nothing without control ;-)
per

Post by per »

Hi Wissmann
Your are exactly right, its on a facade for a football areana. And its true about 24 dmx universes. So youre saying that if I put it in the matrix generator 4050x1x1 it will not treat it as a matrix?! And how do I assign say a white color to 3leds and let it run along the whole strand? Is there some timeline in Madrix or do I just increase or decrease the speed? Have been trying to get past the preset effects but no luck with that yet...
Sorry for the newbie questions but I know that I am trying to use the sw in a different way, I think.
Or do you have another idea how to do this?
Best regards
Per
Wissmann
Developer
Developer

Post by Wissmann »

Hi Per,
you are welcome, everybody starts one day at one point.
First of all 4050x1 is a matrix, only one dimension but for MADRIX it is a matrix.
This kind off installations was allready done a couple of times with MADRIX.
For the effect you have in mind i recommend the use off SCE Color Scroll.
Change the colors in the color list to white and black, insert as many black you need proportional to the white.
With the Width slider you can adjust the width off the color bars from the SCE Color Scroll.
With the BPM slider you can adjust the speed of the movement.
per

Post by per »

Hi Wissmann
Havent tried that yet. But is it possible to have more control then to assign an effect. I would also be able to send a white or coloured dot from the opposite end and they would meet and pass each other, and also make the dot slow down in a specific point along the strip and lay to rest and then shoot away again... So, is it possible to make that not with a effect?
I cant imagine how not to have more "hands on" control...
Thanks a lot for your input so far anyway!
Per
Wissmann
Developer
Developer

Post by Wissmann »

To have more control beside the effects themself you have the effect macro, the effect parameter chaser or the MAS Script Effect.
But i think you should first start to explore which possibilities the existing effects allready offer before you start with the features i mentioned above.