Automatic or assisted patching

Write here what nice effects or shows you have done with MADRIX or ask other users.

Moderator: MADRIX Team

aristocompasso

Automatic or assisted patching

Post by aristocompasso »

Hi all,

I've been looking around but can't seem to find an answer for this. When you have a non-rectangular display how to quickly create the patch for all or selected fixtures in the work area, with the same rules we have for the matrix generator (top-down, left-right, snake, etc) ? Moreover, the shapes on the z-layers are identical 2 by 2.

I am currently working on a display with more than 5000vx and 20 z-layers; I add a matrix for each plane and them move the fixtures around to create the desired shape. Is there a simpler, faster way to do this?

Thank you for your help.
A.
Guertler
Support
Support

Re: Automatic or assisted patching

Post by Guertler »

Hello aristocompasso,
If you want to create a non rectangular patch in MADRIX 3 which looks like your real installation, the only way is to patch it pixel by pixel for every Z-Layer.
But you should always keep in mind for such complex installations it is some times better to unfold it into a rectangel patch in MADRIX and work with an additional visualizer tool for the preprogramming. Because the MADRIX previews are desigend to get an technical preview how the effects are looking. If you unfold the fixtures of the real installation you can also get very cool effects on the real installation which you only can get in hard work if you patch it in original. Another advantage in working with less empty pixels in the patch is you will save PC performance.
aristocompasso

Post by aristocompasso »

Hello Guertler,

What could be this visualiser tool for preprogramming and how does it work with the Madrix patch?

Thanks. All the best.
Guertler
Support
Support

Post by Guertler »

Hello aristocompasso,
A visualizer software is a third party software solution which will visualize the output of a lighting console or software. It is a kind of simulation of the real. Representatives are for instance Capture Sweden, wysiwyg, Light Converse, Realizzer 3D.
If you want to use one of the visualizer in connection with MADRIX, you only need to send an Art-Net signal from MADRIX to the visualizer software.
aristocompasso

Post by aristocompasso »

Hi Guertler,

Oh, those visualisers, ok. I thought it might be something a bit more specific.

I have completed the full display, and the 4800vx in conic arrangement are consuming 30-32% of processing resources and about 205MB of RAM. ( My current machine is an i5-4690K @ 4GHz (4 cores / 4 threads). These are for simple effects, but with more complexity it may be a problem. I read in the manual:

"The base frequency of the CPU is very important. As an example, a CPU with fewer cores and a higher base frequency might then outperform a CPU with more cores and a much lower base frequency per core."

In what situations is clock speed preferable to thread count and vice-versa?

Regarding the patching, first of all, creating non-rectagular patching is possible and the effects work flawlessly, so I can't have many complaints, but it so happens that I'm having a lot of requests for these particular types of non-rectangular displays and patching by hand is a bit time consuming. Is there something envisioned to address this workflow in version 5?

Thanks, All the best.
Last edited by aristocompasso on Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guertler
Support
Support

Post by Guertler »

Hello aristocompasso,
In general MADRIX is a multi threaded application. That means if you want to get the best performance you will need a PC with as much cores as possible and the base frequency per core should be as high as possible.
If you have to decide between clock speed or cores you should use a PC with a higher clock speed.
In case to control 4800 voxels a PC with at least 4 cores/4 threads and a base frequency of at least 3.6 GHz is recommended.
Regarding patching in MADRIX 5 you will have the possibility to import a patch as CSV file in MADRIX. That means you can export such a CSV file in another application like 3D planning tools and import it in MADRIX. Such an import includes then the positions of the fixtures and you don't need to create the patch pixel by pixel in the MADRIX.