Considering Madrix coming from custom programed Raspberry Pis

ageramusta

Considering Madrix coming from custom programed Raspberry Pis

Post by ageramusta »

I am an installation artist that often uses RGB LED pixels in large inflatable installations. Up to this point I have programed Arduinos to control relays to control light sequences and Raspberry Pis to control ws2812 RGB Pixels. I use pixels with 8-12 LEDs per pixel rather than the strips of LEDs.

I cant write software to control the LED pixels on the Raspberry Pi and can write functions to create effect on matrices.

For an upcoming installation I plan to have a 3 dimensional grid of columns. The grid will be 10 x 10 columns with 12 pixels per column. This will create a 3D matrix that I want to program effects into. I am familiar with LED protocols but not the Madrix package.

I have pixels and power supplies for the pixels as well as T-connectors to inject more power along the line to avoid voltage drop. Can I use Madrix to control on-chip LED pixels or do I need DMX pixels? I already have many ws2812 pixels but could get DMX pixels if needed.

I am particularly interested in 3D effects but do not know what hardware and software pieces of Madrix I need. What licence and what controllers?

I also want to run the sequences unattended for 24/7 installations with auto restart. Is that possible with Madrix?

Do I need to leave a laptop to keep it running? I could easily leave a Raspberry Pi to autorun but do not know if Madrix will work on that.

Thank you for you time.
Schulze
Support
Support

Re: Considering Madrix coming from custom programed Raspberry Pis

Post by Schulze »

Hi ageramusta,

Exact pixel mapping (2D) and voxel mapping (3D) are the main strengths of the MADRIX software, in your case it provides a feature set to control real 3D LED matrices, thus it supports volume rendering. Madrix offers a strong live effect generator, which are easy customizable. The MADRIX 5 KEY unlocks the software for a certain output, so output is defined through our MADRIX 5 KEY dongle licenses. That means we established a output-based licensing model.

1) Can I use Madrix to control on-chip LED pixels or do I need DMX pixels?

MADRIX 5 allows you to output data via a wide range of industry standard output-protocols (for example: ArtNet, sACN, DMX512, Philips Hue, Philips Color Kinetics, SPI, HMDI, DVI,..). We offer MADRIX NEBULA to control SPI pixels. MADRIX NEBULA directly controls over 35 supported SPI protocols (including WS2812). Each MADRIX NEBULA device drives up to 1360 RGB pixels.

2) I also want to run the sequences unattended for 24/7 installations with auto restart. Is that possible with Madrix?

MADRIX 5 has the so-called "Cue List" feature, which allows you to precisely manage the automatic playback of effects. Of course the Cue List can be used for 24/7 installations to repeatedly play back effects. MADRIX 5 offers options to directly start the software and the Cue List after booting Windows to ensure continued LED control after an unwanted power loss, for example.

3) Do I need to leave a laptop to keep it running? I could easily leave a Raspberry Pi to autorun but do not know if Madrix will work on that.

Since we only offer a Windows version, MADRIX won't run on a Raspberry Pi.
You would need a computer, because we don't offer a stand-alone device for SPI pixels.
We offer MADRIX PLEXUS in our range of products, which is both a stand-alone interface and a live controller for DMX512. The MADRIX PLEXUS controls up to 2 universes via DMX512 or Art-Net. The built-in slot for SD or SDHC cards allows to run sophisticated light shows without the need for a computer. A MADRIX PC is only required to preprogram the shows.

I hope this helps you.
ageramusta

Post by ageramusta »

Thank you. That is helpful. The 3D features do sound good. Can I program my own 3D space animations at the pixel level?

I do not need realtime effects for now since I will pre-program all the sequences. It may be something that I use in the future for interactivity via sensors. Would I have to convert the sensor output to some sort of sound "beat" or is there digital input into the Madrix effects generator for different event triggers?

Could I send Madrix cues from sensors such as thermal cameras or proximity sensors to drive the effects rather than music?

I like the look of the Nebula. It will allow me to use existing pixels along with future DMX fixtures. In the diagrams of the Nebula, It shows the power coming from the Nebula. I assume I can use multiple external power supplies that I inject via T-connectors at various points along the pixel line to prevent voltage drop.

I will have to decide between getting a separate laptop for the installation or getting the Nebula along with the Plexus. The Plexus seems as much as a cheap laptop so it may make sense to jsut get a laptop but I like the small contained nature of the Plexus.

Best way to get the Madrix license and hardward is through the dealers listed on the website, correct?

Thanks.
Schulze
Support
Support

Post by Schulze »

Hi ageramusta,

1) Can I program my own 3D space animations at the pixel level?

With MADRIX 5 you are able to create 3D patches and map the MADRIX effects on them.
More in depth information is available here:
http://help.madrix.com/m5/html/madrix/h ... or_3d.html

2) Would I have to convert the sensor output to some sort of sound "beat" or is there digital input into the Madrix effects generator for different event triggers?
Could I send Madrix cues from sensors such as thermal cameras or proximity sensors to drive the effects rather than music?

- You won't be able to use thermal cameras for triggering Cues. You can trigger Cues (sequences) via DMX512, Art-Net or sACN for example.
MADRIX 5 has a wide range of supported data input possibilities:
http://help.madrix.com/m5/html/madrix/i ... ntrol.html
- I highly recommend to have a look at our product "MADRIX ORION", which converts analog input signals (switches, potentiometers, sensors..) into Art-Net or sACN signals for remote control/triggering purposes. That means you wouldn't need an extra software to process/convert the sensor data for MADRIX 5.
Learn more: https://www.madrix.com/products/orion
- Audio input is only necessary, if you want to use the S2L or M2L MADRIX effects.

3) I assume I can use multiple external power supplies that I inject via T-connectors at various points along the pixel line to prevent voltage drop.

That is absolutly correct and I highly recommend to do so.

4) Best way to get the Madrix license and hardward is through the dealers listed on the website, correct?

Correctly, please contact one of our dealers in your country for purchasing purposes.
ageramusta

Post by ageramusta »

Thank you for your reply. I will contact dealers in my country and hopefully get experimenting soon.