Low Line Levels

Write here what nice effects or shows you have done with MADRIX or ask other users.

Moderator: MADRIX Team

milfriez

Low Line Levels

Post by milfriez »

Hello,

I am running an external sound card (creative Sb1090) in order to utilize better processing and also ASIO4all for the sound input.

The problem is that if i run the audio through "line in" it comes in very low on Madrix. If I run it via the Mic in, it registers on an acceptable level. The problem is that in a live scenario, I will only be connecting via RCAs which is line level, and suspect it will be low also.

Is there any way to boost line level input in Madrix so that it registers sounds in order to utilize S2L and M2L correctly?

Thanks.
Brad
Wissmann
Developer
Developer

Re: Low Line Levels

Post by Wissmann »

Hi milfriez,
in the oposite to WMA the asio level is normed.
In case of using ASIO the level adjustment slider on the MADRIX gui is used for limiting the signal, because of ASIO there is no way to boost the values by ASIO.
This means use the audio slider with the maximum value to get the maximum audio level for you line in. If this is not enouph you have to create a higher input value by your source.
LEDs are nothing without control ;-)
milfriez

Post by milfriez »

Thank you for your reply, i suspected that was what I was going to have to do.

Another question concerning this. When running audio into Madrix, it seems that the audio is out of sync. The level bar in madrix does not accurately respond to peaks and drops in the music. It looks as if #1) there is an audio delay or lag and #2) it looks as if it normalizes to the same level (not much response to bass kicks).

I have a development computer and a live computer. The development computer I use to create effects and then transfer them to the live computer which is portable to take to shows. I use the same external sound card on both computers. But when i use the live computer, sound does not register correctly, and effects essentially do not work because they are not registering the same sound levels. Is there something I can do to correct this?

I have tried changing all the values on the live computer, it just seems that the input is not correct. There are not "peaks" and valleys" in the response, it is more just a solid line with no up or down response.
milfriez

Post by milfriez »

I think I *might* have figured something out. If I just use the normal on board mic that comes with the computer, the sound seems to respond better. If I use ASIO4all along with Creative X-fi, that seems to be possibly where the lag is coming from. I'm looking further into this.

Has anyone else had any luck with using an external sound card? The only reason I was using it was for the ASIO benefit, but it would appear that using the built-in sound card along with WDM seems to yield better results. What is the benefit of using ASIO?
milfriez

Post by milfriez »

I think I may have narrowed this down for anyone else that was having any type of issue.

When i was testing I was using a 3.5mm jack splitter out to main speakers, and then to input on sound card. Somehow this appears to have halved the sound level input. I then tried running music direct from external source into X-fi USB sound card and it seems to be able to keep up via ASIO with accurate sound reproduction.

Everything I am doing is still in testing phases at this point. I am just trying to make sure i test everything out before i get to do this in a live performance.
Wissmann
Developer
Developer

Post by Wissmann »

Hi,
the original reason for implementing ASIO was to get lower latency in capturing audio signals. After implemting the new WDM model from Microsoft this is no more the one and only reason to get ASIO. So now it is up to you and your hardware which driver model you prefer. Some people like to use professional Audio hardware which enables MADRIX to capture 100 times the second with a latency of 2 milli seconds.
Out of this hardware specific stuff you get some more low latency because of the MADRIX software. MADRIX analyses the signal for S2L and M2L.
In the Preferences Menu you can adjust this audio performance behavior in the Audio Performance dialog. By default the values are setup to get good results in S2L and M2L.
If you just using S2L and the lowest latency is what you are most interested in, move the first slider (S2L and M2L Performance) to the most left.
LEDs are nothing without control ;-)